Cat Loi Cashew Oil Production & Export JSC
Cashew phenol popularly know as Cardanol or Card-Phenol manufactured from cashew nut shell liquid (CNSL). It’s a monohydroxyl phenol having a long hydrocarbon chain (C15H27) in a meta position.
The components of commercial Cardanol different in the degree of unsaturation Of the side chain but for the practical purposes it can be represented by the following formula:
- A light pale Brown/yellow liquid manufactured from Cashew Nut Shell Liquid
- Also know as cashew phenol
- The unique molecular structure of Cardanol, especially unsaturation of long Hydrocarbon said chain, makes the cross linking easy on Polymerization
- Besides the side chain imparting hydrophobic nature to the polymer, its coating is water repellent and weather resistant.
- Cardanol based resins posses an outstanding resistance to softening action of mineral oil and high resistance to acids alkalies, antimicrobial property termite and insect resistance etc.
- Contributes to improved flexibility, good drying after banking, high electric insulation properties and thermal stability.
- Amenability to chemical modification to effect desirable changes so as to get specific properties for making tailor-made polymers of high value, thus the structural changes could be effected at the hydroxyl group, on the aromatic ring and on the side chain.
- These properties make Cardanol an effective substitute for the petroleum-based phenol.
- Cardanol polysulfide (CPS) has been used as a vulcanizing agent for natural rubber. Coordination bond linkage in cardanol-aldehyde condensation polymers improved its physicomechanical properties. This positively influences the anticorrosive properties and stability of the polymeric compound at high temperature. The blend of cardanol-based novolac-type phenolic resins, with commercial epoxy or isocynate monomers produces thermoset polymers . The conversion of CNSL-based cardols (6-alkenylresorcinols) into lasiodiplodin, a naturally occurring 12-membered orsellinic acid type macrolide, exhibits plant growth-regulating and antileukemic properties.
- Density @ 300C :9275 – 0.9350
- Viscosity @ 250C (cps) : 40 – 60
- Iodine value : 210 -280
- Ash content : Negotiable
- Volatiles losses: 5 – 2%
- Acid value : 2 – 5%.
The products obtained from CARDANOL have many advantages over these manufactured from other substituted phenols. It is therefore widely used in the manufacture of Nevolac & Resol Resins, Oil Soluble Resins, Lamination, Surface coating & paints, Electrical Insulating, Varnishes, Brake lining, clutch facings, Lacquers, Pesticides, Rubber compounding, Adhesives, Wax substitutes, Mineral oil additives, Azo Dyes, etc.